Not much to report lately. My cold knocked me on my ass again - I keep having relapses. On November 5th, some students vandalized the school. I've never seen the movie, but it was a reference to something from the movie, "V for Vendetta." I have NO idea how the students accomplished this, but I thought it was pretty damned impressive. :)
On Saturday evening, I ventured out to Melanie's to sleep there overnight. In exchange, I had to cook Mel and Scott an authentic chinese meal. Well boy did I go crazy! I made not only Chinese, but Korean, and Thai as well! Check out my gourmet meal! In the picture you can see my attempt at making Mapo Dofu (a recipe Peggy taught me but that I haven't tried to make until now... It turned out okay - it wasn't as "wet" as it should have been... And I don't think I used the right sauce on it), Fried Chicken with Almonds (one of my fave Thai dishes), HOMEMADE springrolls (see below for a story about THOSE), and Sesame Asparagus. Frickin' AMAZING man! Mel was my grunt worker (aka chopping girl) and I did all the cooking.As for the spring rolls... It's been awhile since I deep fried anything... And when I was in Hong Kong, I used chopsticks to do all my stir frying. Well. I goofed. I had the oil too hot, so when I put my first spring roll in, it immediately began to burned - oil was flying all over the place. I had to yank the pot off the stove, but with the spring roll still in it, the oil continued to sputter all over my arm. I was freaking out from the pain, and because the spring roll was turning from pasty white, to tan, to charcoal. I finally got a fork and managed to toss the damned thing out of the pot. The end result of it is below...

Mel and Scott could not stop laughing at this poor pathetic excuse for food. It honestly looked like a turd sitting on the counter. LOL.
Except for the spring roll incident, the meal was excellent. Scott also finally used his spicy peanut oil that I recommended to him. It was funny because before he had tested it, he got some on his finger and without thinking, licked it off. He immediately turned red and began coughing. Hee hee. He can't say I didn't warn him!
Anyways, that's about it. Agnes and I rented The Lakehouse tonight (Keanu? Can I have your babies?) Prior to watching it though, I decided to try a recipe from my health magazine. It was supposed to be this icy banana/chocolate smoothee thingie (consisting of chocolate soy milk, cocoa, and bananas, mixed in a blender). Well. It was banana-y. That's about all I can say. LOL. Agnes took a bite and then stopped and watched as I ate it. It's kind of indescribable.... But I ate mine anyways - it was healthy. Not bad... But no flavour beyond the bananas. LOL
2 comments:
I volunteer you to cook me some authentic Chinese or Thai or Korean food in January.
Hahaha.
Just kidding. Well, unless you really want to ;)
That was a really pathetic looking spring roll for sure...remind me to keep going to my "kind" of chinese restaurants!!!
Duh!! In your last paragraph when you mentioned that you and Agnes rented Lakehouse...hehehe I wasn't thinking of movie rental...my first thought was you two rented living quarters together...the townhouses by the Lake close to UW.
Post a Comment