Monday, November 12, 2007

Tools of the trade

Okay, time for some amusing add-ons to my knitting exploits. (I had been too tired to write anything more last night.)

When my roommate first brought out the knitting kneedles, I didn't get a good glimpse of them and just thought they were extra long pointy chopsticks. Oops! Next, when we began our knitting lesson, I realized that I automatically held the needle like I would a chopstick. Then she had to fix my grip because I was holding the needle at the wrong end (with chopsticks, you hold the needle further away rather than close to the point). I don't know how we managed to survive the first part of the lesson because we were laughing hysterically.

As for the actual knitting - that was also a painful process. I don't know how she managed not to beat me up or leave me where I was. It's hard enough for me to learn to knit normally, but trying to learn from someone who doesn't have the vocabulary to teach me in English? Even funnier. I kept making my rows too tight and because they were so tight, I had trouble differentiating between the different threads of yarn so I'd randomly skip a thread here and there. She'd inspect my rows and then laugh when she found all the gaps in them. LOL

I can't believe how difficult it is to learn how to knit. Teach me how to program in a computer language? No problem. Ask me to figure out why wars start all over the world? Sure thing. Ask me to wrap yarn around a metal needle? Count me out.

No comments: