Monday, November 26, 2007

Spelling fun

I'm writing one of my essays right now and suddenly had a brain fart. I realized I didn't know if I should be spelling things, "per cent" or "percent." (I've seen them both ways in academic papers.)

After a quick google and a visit to the mother of all knowledge, Wikipedia, I came across their writing style guide that explained the differences between different countries and their spelling styles. I found a lovely little table on there that compared, Australia, Canada, UK, USA, and some other countries. I was amused to see how random Canada's column is. Our spelling varies from US to UK with a bit of French influence tossed in for fun.

I suggest you check it out here. It's amusing if nothing else.

P.S. Oh yeah, "per cent" is the British method while "percent" is the American. Since the queen is on our money, I think I'll use the British method... And it takes up more space on the page. ;)

No comments: