I've been totally geeking out on Asia for the past week or so. As mentioned in one of my previous posts, I've found a way to download Asian dramas on my laptop, so I've been devouring episodes of Taiwanese TV shows. I'm totally enthralled by them.
It's nice to be able to watch them and catch the various words I know in Chinese. I won't claim that I'm learning any new words, but I am learning different ways of using the words I've learned before. (e.g. This summer I learned the word "shi" which means "news/affairs". When watching my TV shows, I realized I can say something like "no affairs" and it'll roughly translate into "Nothing's the matter". So no one can claim that I'm not learning anything by watching TV. :))
By watching these TV shows, I'm also able to find their soundtracks on the web, so I've been listening to a lot of mandarin music too. It's a nice change from Western music and I find I can hear familiar vocabulary in the songs too.
Finally, all this Asian influence forced me to seek out a Chinese grocery store in Ottawa. My friend Cathy (who's originally from Hong Kong) took me to Unimart. It was just like shopping back in Hong Kong! I was so excited to be able to buy steamed buns and BBQ pork! I was like a little kid in the candy store. We're going to try to make these grocery trips into weekly outings.
Anyways, that's how I'm sinifying my life right now.
No comments:
Post a Comment