Saturday, November 17, 2007

Names changes and other occurrences

Huzzah! I finished my other presentation yesterday! I had to talk for 20 minutes on an indigenous group I found interesting. I decided to research and study the Aboriginal tribes in Taiwan. My presentation revolved around their changing status through History under the different governments of Taiwan.

The night before the presentation I had a ridiculously hard time concentrating and preparing for my talk. I ended up staying up till 2:30am trying to finish my outline, and then I could not not not fall asleep. I probably drifted off around 3:30 and woke up around 6am. When I heard Nasrin get up for her shower at 6:30, I finally gave up and also got up so I could practice a few time. The presentation went really well - I wasn't completely smooth in my delivery, but I felt it went a hell of a lot better than my Human Security presentation did. :)

To celebrate, I decided to go to St. Laurent Centre with Laura. (I keep forgetting her name is spelled Laura even though it's pronounced Lauda.) We wanted to go to East Side Mario's for dinner... It took us forever to get to the bloody mall! Because we were cold, we hopped on the first bus we saw that was heading to St. Laurent. This bus ended up taking us all the way out into the middle of nowhere, past every single hospital in Ottawa and only then did we get to the mall. Lesson learned: Always take the express buses.

Upon arriving at East Side Mario's, I gave the hostess my name because there was a wait time of 20 minutes. I turned around to talk to Laura when the hostess suddenly calls me back over. I swear to God, this is what she said, "Can you please listen for the name Maria? I forgot what name you gave me." I blinked and informed her that she could just call for Mo or Laura and the chick vaguely acknowledged me. 5 minutes later, I hear the name "Maria" belted out. Laura was laughing her ass off with me. I know these teeny-bopper waiters/waitresses aren't paid to give a damn, but really, to assign customers new names just to make their own lives easier? That was hilarious.

Another amusing happenstance was that a sales clerk at a clothing store tried to hook Laura up with one of her sons. Laura was trying on some outfits for a wedding she was attending and I was teasing her about being able to use the clothes for interviews. The sales clerk suddenly starts asking Laura if she's looking for a job and Laura explains how she already has a job because she recently graduated etc... Next thing we know, the lady's asking Laura how old she is and casually mentions, "Oh, I have a son who's 24." We waited until the lady disappeared before cracking up.

No comments: