I had a short work week last week because I was scheduled for an optometrist appointment on Friday. Therefore on Thursday night I had planned to go out to the bar with a few other students. Some of the co-ops apparently go out to the bar every Thursday night - my one pal, Rishi, stays out until 2am each time. That's veritably INSANE! I get up at 5:40am - I need more sleep! Anyways, since I wasn't going to work the next day I planned to join them finally.
Sunny and I agreed that he'd phone me and then we'd head over together. I got all dressed up and wasted time watching TV waiting for his phone call. That didn't come. And didn't come. I tried phoning both him and Rishi but neither answered their phone. I was feeling a bit put out. Finally Sunny phoned me at 11:30pm - turns out he had fallen asleep and had just woken up. I ended up going over to his house and we chilled out in his room until 1pm-ish.
(Turns out Rishi had gotten into a car accident - hence the lack of a reply!)
After I left I went for a very quick bike ride (quick because my bike pedal was falling off). It was a beautiful night - you could see thousands of stars in the sky. Gorgeous. I then returned home and promptly broke my glasses so I sat around surfing the web, holding my glasses in place.
The next morning my parents came to pick me up to drive me to Waterloo. We took a different route to Waterloo than normal (backroads). We got a bit lost because our google directions weren't accurate.
We got into Waterloo and picked up Mel so she could join us. Not only were we getting our eyes checked (err, my dad and I), but we had also planned to look at some apartments for me to live in during the fall. We had to rush off to meet the first landlord right away.
I ended up seeing 4 houses throughout the day. Compared to a lot of student housing I've seen, these were nice places. I ended up giving a deposit to one apartment close to where my first apartment used to be in Waterloo. Amusingly the landlord told us that it was possible to steal the neighbour's cable connection and get 1000 channels.
We had lunch at the Student Life Centre on campus before heading off to the optometry clinic. My appointments went well, but I must say, I have never been in so much pain during an eye exam! I had two exams - one for my contacts, and one for a general eye exam. The contacts one went well, but I was writhing in pain for the second. The doctors put the chemical in my eyes that forces your pupils to dilate. That wasn't bad. What was bad was having them shine an insanely bright light into them. Of course I'd instinctively try to shut my eyes, but they pried them open instead. Cruel jerks!
Our appointments took insanely long. I thought it would only take about an hour for the appointment, I was in there for at least 1 and a half hours, and my dad was in there for around 2 hours! Crazy!
To give us some time to recuperate, we went to Boston Pizza for dinner. I offered to pay for dinner and we had a fabulous time. Our waiter was cute and hilarious - he reminded me of Jay Manuel from Queer Eye for the Straight Guy.
When I got home that night, I made the decision to accept the one apartment I had looked at. I was about to phone my sister to tell her to give the landlord the cheque I had given her... But then I remembered to check my bank account. That's when I realized that my rent cheque had come out for my June rent here in Port Elgin! Meaning I didn't have enough money in my account for a deposit!
Much panicking occurred, but as usual, my heroic parents came through for me and floated me a loan to help me put the deposit down on the house. Mom? Dad? You guys totally rock!
The rest of the weekend was pretty uneventful. On Saturday my parents and I went for a walk around Harrison park. (See the photos here.) (This is my favourite photo!)My mom and I watched an adorable film called "Little Manhattan." On Sunday we went out shopping (how can I shop so much when I don't have any money in my account???) and then went to Port Elgin.Today I came thisclose to suffering a nervous breakdown. I was beginning to plan my course schedule for the next term. I glanced at the course requirements for my degree and suddenly saw that was missing 10 courses! I nearly threw up on my keyboard. 5 panicked minutes later I realized that I was looking at the wrong requirements - that was for some other history program. Dear lord. Relief is the sweetest sensation in the world.
Now I'm trying to grab hold of my academic advisor at UW so I can set up a meeting with her to discuss what I do need to graduate. Still waiting to hear from her... Her office hours are insane.
Wish me luck folks!
No comments:
Post a Comment