Monday, June 12, 2006

Great office!

Greets y'all!

I had a fabulous weekend. I'm enjoying my summer - it's not nearly as exciting as Hong Kong was, but I have no reason to complain. I'm often relaxed, and I enjoy my weekends even if I didn't do anything on them.

Case in point: This Friday I met with my Academic advisor. As you may recall, I had been freaking out because I thought I might not have the necessary courses to graduate university. I finally managed to get my advisor on the phone and was trying to negotiate a later meeting time on a Thursday to come meet her when she suddenly asked me Where I was working for the summer. I told her that I was at Port Elgin, and suddenly she claims, "I'm from Port Elgin!" It turns out that she works in Waterloo Tuesdays to Thursdays, and from Friday to Monday, she works in Port Elgin. How cool is that? We decided to meet at the Tim Horton's after work so I could discuss my courses.

I had a really good talk with her. She figured out all the courses I needed to graduate, and gave me suggestions on which ones I should or shouldn't take. (For example, I wanted to take a 3rd year history course on Canada in World Affairs, and she suggested I avoid it because she knows I have trouble managing work loads.) So she was very helpful that respect.

I also asked her advice on getting my Masters degree. She named a few places to help me get my search started. Amusingly, she started by recommending the London School of Economics in downtown London, England. She described it as, "A not inexpensive school." The moment I heard London, I then asked, "Do you have any other recommendations for schools in Canada?" (I later searched the LSE and found out that it's tuition was $24,000 CANADIAN dollars! That's only tuition! Nevermind living expenses etcetera. I just about choked.)

On the way to Owen Sound, I told my mom that I would drive the van. As most of you know, I loathe driving. I'm a terrible driver and am extremely paranoid. But I have to admit that it would be nice to not be at the mercy of my parents any more. I just mainly need to practice in order to gain more confidence. My mother later told me that she had been slightly nervous the entire way. (With one or two exceptions, I had done a damn good job thanks very much!)

The next day we all headed down to Waterloo again so I could sign my lease. I got to see Agnes again. That was cool. Turns out the lucky wench gets to go back to France! Our reunion was short and sweet, and the best part was that we've already chosen which rooms we get.

One room is much larger than the other, but the small room is a lot brighter instead. Agnes asked which one I wanted, and I mumbled something to the effect of, "Well of course I want the bigger one," to which she replied, "Good! Because I want the bright one!" I think that's when I had to pick my jaw up off the ground and laugh. That was a lot easier than anticipated. I'll now have a dark blue room that's fairly large and has a HUGE closet. (Peggy - it's bigger than the closet we shared in Hong Kong!)

After signing the lease, my mom, dad an I left again. Mom and I went for a shopping spree during which I spent a stupid amount of money. I feel bad about it in retrospect - I should have waited for a sale, because god knows the stores I shop at have sales every month practically. But I'm afraid that if I take my stuff back, I won't be able to find it again - and I got some niiiiice stuff to wear. I'll have to inspect my clothes again - maybe I will end up returning some stuff after all.

After a not-so-quick stop at the Crossroads Restaurant buffet, we returned home. I stayed up late surfing the net and reading.

The next day was uneventful like normal. I baked some "Maple Pecan Butter Balls" and had a nap before going grocery shopping and returning to Port Elgin. We finished the day off by going for a walk along the water in Port Elgin. I pretended to be a photographer and snapped a bunch of photos. The one displayed it my favourite - it's my mom and dad walking into the sun.

I also finally snapped some photos of the students who work in my building. You can check them out here.

1 comment:

Jill said...

That is a really nice picture of your parents :)

Next time you come down to Waterloo, toss me an email or something, and we'll hook up for lunch or coffee (if you have the time)