The day after I arrived at my parents house for reading week, I decided to hop on their treadmill (aka: mom's clothes hanger) for an hour before they woke up. Since I hadn't used it in a loooong time, I decided to set it at a really easy pace. I pushed the "lower" button on the incline setting, and set myself an easy speed.
Things were going good. I was definitely sweating, but not out of breath, so I decided to do a two minute sprint at 5mph. That's when things went terribly wrong. By the end of my first minute, I was gasping for air. 10 seconds into the second minute, I was trying not to fall over. I managed to finish the sprint, but by then my lungs were bleeding, I couldn't get enough air, and even though I kept lowering and lowering the speed, I was still gasping.
I decided to take a short 5 minute break and got off the treadmill. As I was about to get back on though, I noticed something. The treadmill had a definite incline on it... That's when I realized that the "lower" incline button actually lowers to back of the treadmill to CREATE an incline. For CHRIST'S SAKE! Every other treadmill in the world raises its upper portion to create the hill. No wonder I was so damned exhausted - I was running uphill the entire half hour! Needless to say, I immediately corrected my error and did my next half hour at an easy pace. LOL
No comments:
Post a Comment