Friday, March 02, 2007

Winter strikes again

I used to be a big fan of winter. I loved the bite of the cold air, the pristine white fields surrounding the land, watching other people suffer. But I have to admit, I'm fucking sick of it now. LOL. Ever since I came back from sub-tropical Hong Kong, the cold has been an absolute bitch! And the way it keeps being a cocktease just makes it worse!

For a couple of days this week, the weather was AMAZING. It was so warm the snow was melting. I could walk to school with my jacket undone, etc. It was gorgeous. And it was that way yesterday morning - I walked around campus content as could be... But by lunchtime you could barely see across the street from the driving snow flailing us! By the time I left campus, I couldn't see where I was walking, snow was clinging to my head, and I practically had to climb over the snow drifts to get home. >:( (It didn't help that I was starving and sore from weightlifting and the vaccine I had just been stuck with.)

Other amusing happenings yesterday:

When I was in the SLC having a quick bowl of soup prior to going to the gym, I was watching people set up informational booths to promote things. Suddenly two people at one table get up and start doing random dances. And damn they were good. When I finished my food, I got up and wandered over there, but they didn't have anything signs - just a TV showing people doing ballroom dancing.

I don't like approaching tables in the SLC just in case they try to sucker you into buying things or are crazies who are advocating something I don't agree with. I ended up doing two laps of the SLC before I finally approached the table and asked them what they were promoting. Turns out it was UW's Ballroom Dance Club! Before you know it, I had signed up as a member and paid for waltz, jive, and rhumba lessons. (See? They suckered me into buying stuff!) The guy I signed up with was named Jesse. Today was supposed to be my first set of lessons, but with the snowday, they've been canceled. Whoops!

After signing up for the lessons, I had to scurry off to my weightlifting class. It's amusing because the instructor calls a few of us her "regulars" because we haven't missed a class yet. That makes me happy for some reason. *flex*

After our class was done, I then went to pick up a prescription for Gardasil I had ordered. (It's the new vaccine against the Human Papillomavirus virus - the one that causes some cervical cancers.) It was up to me to take it to health services to get it injected, so that's just what I did. For some reason, this needle hurt a hell of a lot more than normal. Well, maybe not a lot more, but it hurt more than normal.

I stuck around health services for 15 minutes afterwards just in case I collapsed before making my way home. As mentioned, my walk home was not pleasant. By the time I got home, I was dripping water EVERYWHERE. It was ridiculous. The snow clung to all materials, especially my hair.

Several hours later I was all snuggly from having a shower and being in warm clothes. I had vowed not to leave my house again, but alas, twas not to be! I had just gotten up from my desk when I saw a car right outside my house. It was stuck in a snow drift literally right across from my front door. It became apparent that they and the people who had stopped to help couldn't push it out, so I decided to do my good deed of the year.

Mau goes tromping downstairs, dons her boots, and goes outside to offer her help. The weirdest thing of all? The person stuck was Jesse, the guy who got me to join the Ballroom Dance Club. Ha ha. Even with three of us pushing, we weren't able to move the car, but luckily another car pulled up and offered to help pull the car out of the ditch. While they were waiting to find rope, I ended up going back instead (I was only wearing a sweatshirt).

While I was making myself some hot chocolate, I kept watching out the window to see if they were successful. Another car came by and offered the use of a shovel to help dig the car out a bit. That was what did it. Shovelling coupled with 4 people pushing got the guy moving. He stopped about 3 feet away and thanked everyone who then drove off. He got back in his car and started to drive away again. But he couldn't. That's right, the car got stuck a mere 3 feet away from his original place. LOL. So I went back outside and helped push again and this time we got him on to the cleared part of the road. LOL. (This entire ordeal began because he had pulled over to make room for a plow.)

Thus was my yesterday. While I was trying to read my textbooks later that night, I actually ended up putting in my ear plugs because the rain hitting my windows was ridiculously loud! Oh, and today's another snowday! YAY!

No comments: