Monday, May 31, 2010

Where there's smoke, there's fire

Sometimes it's hard figuring out why you don't want to get up in the mornings. Today I woke up and really didn't want to get out of bed. More so than normal. And by the time I got to work I was feeling ill, but I couldn't quite put my finger on why. I had several theories:
  1.  I was randomly sick.
  2. I was up later than normal last night. Sometimes lack of sleep can make me feel sick.
  3. I hadn't eaten enough this morning. Again, sometimes lack of food can also make me feel sick.
I couldn't see options 2 or 3 being the culprits. It wasn't until I checked out the local news that I discovered option #4: I was feeling sick due to the layer of smoke laying over Montreal.

Wait, smoke in Montreal? Yes, that electrical fire smell that I first thought was in my apartment, and then thought was outside in my neighborhood, and then thought was inside my head (since how could a small follow me across half the city to work) is real. It's the result of 52 local forest fires in Quebec, 8 of which are burning out of control.
Environment canada even updated their forecast to have a "smoke" warning. Yikes! And looking at my friends' facebook statuses from Ottawa, they too are seeing and smelling smoke. That's just crazy!

No comments: