Friday, May 21, 2010

The dangers of frisbee

Since moving to Montreal I've started playing Ultimate Frisbee. I started off with friends, playing for fun outside. And throughout the winter months, I joined a league to help players improve their skills.

During said league (during which my team epically sucked - out of 12 games we lost 12 times) I managed to run into another player and we tumbled. My knee ached a bit, but I ran it off.

The next day I was limping, but by this time I was used to minor scrapes and bruises from the game. However, as time went on, this limp refused to go away. Now, whenever I sit for long periods of time, when I get up to walk, my knee is very stiff and it takes several limping steps before the limp goes away.

At least that injury didn't cost me money. Last week while playing with my friends, one guy, Johnny, caught the frisbee with his face. His lips was bleeding and sore, and he mentioned that a tooth felt loose, but he kept playing.

Yesterday though, we saw him again and learned that the effects of his injury were a bit more severe. Indeed, his tooth was loose. He actually had to go to the dentist whereupon he learned that the bone holding his teeth had been fractured. He was fitted with a metal retainer (or similar gadget) to hold the tooth in place in hopes that the bone would heal over. In another week he'll return to the dentist. If the bone hasn't healed over, he'll need to have surgery. Yikes!

And of course, about 60 minutes after hearing this story, I too caught the frisbee with my face. My lips swelled a bit, but it seems like I got off easy compared to Johnny.

2 comments:

Lama said...

You really should get a mouth guard. Might feel silly but will save a lot of problems.

Unknown said...

Couldn't yap as much though! LOL