Wow. So I'm officilly declaring the Rome segment of my trip as being over. It's only 2:15PM but I've used up all my resources. Yesterday after I logged off, I went to my room for a catnap and ended up having to rush to get to the basilica on time.
As mentioned, our tour guide offered to be there at 6:15ish to take us for a short tour to make up for cutting ours short... Well, because of my nap, I was late so no one was at the entrance to the basilica. I ended up walking around on my own, which, honestly, was probably better than going on my own. St. Peter's Basilica was very beautiful - it was also great that it was near closing, so there were few people there. I could walk around and not bump into people, there was a hushed reverence, etc. The basilica is very gorgeous - waaaay more massive and grand than anticipated. Yes, it has the gaudiness of excess opulence but I enjoyed it and got a lot more feeling from it than I did the Sistine Chapel.
On my way out, I was amused by watching one of the changings of the Swiss guard. It was very informal. The guy saluted his comrade, went into a nearby door, another guy come out and took his place, and then the original guy came out with his briefcase and saluted and walked away. The Swiss guard uniforms crack me up. Some of them look like they should be painters because of their big floppy hats. Others remind me of the Jacks on playing cards.
As I was leaving the basilica, the two Canadian girls I had met up with found me - it turns out that our tour guide never showed up. (Although apparently they came after me, so my guess is that yes, either the guide didn't show up, or, equally likely, the guide showed up, no one was there (I was 10 minutes later remmeber) and left. Apparently they planned to go to the office today to complain and try to get some money back. Anyways, we were trying to plan to do things, but in the end admitted defeat and just returned to our perspective hostels.
I grabbed some pizza and brought it back to my hostel's patio. While I was eating, some random old American guy came and sat near me and started chatting. He wasn't creepy or anything, but it was just annoying to have to force a conversation. Luckily one of my roomies came down and helped pick up the slack... And then we found out that the guy was one of those old opinionated American guys who wouldn't even listen to other people's opinions. Another of our roomies came down which helped the conversation a bit, but we all sighed a breath of relief when he finally packed up. (Apparently my Dutch roommate thought the guy was my dad at first.)
My roommates and I just chilled and had some drinks which was pleasant. We then retired to our room and met the new people (3 of our roommates had left that day) - we now have an Argintinian girl who speaks no English (umm, awkward!), a Thai guy who's sudying in the Netherlands, and a guy from New York. Luckily one of our roommies spoke Spanish, so he conversed with the latina, while Michael and I yapped with Ed, the Thai guy. But as of today the last of my original roomies have left so we have no one who speaks Spanish.... Umm, awkward some more!
Last night was the first night I've had a good night's sleep since arriving. And by "good" I mean I was only woken up twice - once when one guy came in late at night, and one when my bunkmate came in. Not bad for a hostel. LOL
Today I did a bit more aimless wandering. My first step was to go to the Pantheon since I didn't make it in last time - on the way I got to see the Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain again... But there were very very few tourists this time! I mean, I could actually SEE the Spanish steps this time. LOL. When I upload my photos, I'll make it a point to show the busy/not-busy photos to demonstrate what I mean.
After the Pantheon I wound my way to Piazza Navona. It was just a wide plaza with pretty fountains and buildings - my fave parts was a random band playing music in a corner of the plaza. Plus I saw a woman feeding a mass of pigeons. Seriously, I was worried they'd peck her apart!
When I first arrived in Rome, I saw this person dressed in a sphinx mask and wearing this shiny/sparkly yellow blanket. You could tell this person would do something if you dropped a coin in the can in front of them. I have to admit, I was curious as to what they'd do, but I didn't bother paying them. However, the next day outside the colosseum I saw the same person! And later down the street, there they were again - oh wait, no, there's a whole troop of these people scattered around Rome, dressed in their spandex blankets with their masks. It wasn't until I was in Piazza Navona that I saw someone pay them. The person's reaction? They bowed. Umm... That's it? Boooo! You couldn't pay me to stand around in the humidity with a hat and blanket to make what these people are making!
I wanted to walk to the closest metro station, so I had to walk to the colosseum. Along the way I found a cool site where in 1929 while demolishing a building for new construction, they found ruins for 4 temples and decided to preserve the entire site. The reason this was so interesting is that they were actually doing to work to preserve the site! You saw people with little brushes, guys taking photos, people washing the slabs of materials, etc. It was tres cool. I just wonder why, if the site was discovered in 1929, it's taking so long to restore?
I strolled along the Roman Forums and the colosseum again and eventually made my way to Piazza di Vittorio Emmanuele. Now, there was supposed to be a huge local market here, but I certainly didn't find it! I tried finding a restaurant but there were very few and most of them were expensive. Instead I went into this little mom & pop take-out store and got a mozarrella and prosciutto calzone. Yum? Not. Picture the thing like this: Take some sliced ham and shredded mozarella, toss them together in a blender , wrap it in thick dough and then deep fry it. Don't get me wrong, it tasted okay (not great, but okay) but the fact that it had the texture of look of something that someone had pre-chewed and spat back into the dough was very VERY off-putting. LOL.
I was going to wander around some more, but I realized I was pretty freaking exhausted, so I said, "Screw it! I'm going back to the hostel!" Which is exactly what I did! I did make a quick side trip to the English bookstore though - I picked up the Three Musketeers because I couldn't stand sitting down and reading my guide book anymore. LOL.
So now I'm going to go up to my room and lay down. My subway pass is valid for the rest of the night so I'll probably go out this evening for dinner - I've been in Rome for 3 days now and I still HAVEN'T HAD PASTA! I've had pizzas, paninis, and calzones, but no pasta! This must be rectified! LOL
Tomorrow I'm headed to Florence. I originally wanted to go for a bike tour of Tuscany, but my back's a bit tender, so I'll probably do a day trip to Siena instead (my roommates insisted that Siena is the place to be). Plus the Canadian girl's said that I could see the Tuscan scenery quite well from the train, which was my main reason for wanting to do the bike thing.
Ciao!
1 comment:
Sounds like you are having an awesome trip for the most part. I am keeping my fingers crossed for your back. Don't be afraid to find pharmacy for some pain relief. I am enjoying your blog immensely. Be safe.
Post a Comment