Yesterday was the closest I've come to actually having a "vacation" day since arriving in Europe! After I finished getting my internet dosage for the day I totally flaked out. I <3 my 3 Musketeers book so far. It's pretty hilarious!
While I was resting, another new roomie came in. We ended up hanging out and going out for dinner - she was from California. Dinner was great - I had real authentic lasagna... Which was the same, just a bit saltier, as our Canadian stuff. LOL. I did splurge and get dessert though! I had tiramisu! Sooooo delish!
Afterwards we just wandered back to the hostel and chillaxed in the room. I'm also happy that the new roomie spoke Spanish, so I didn't feel so awkward about ignoring the Argentinian chick.
Anywho, I caught the Eurostar to Florence just now. I have to figure out how this railpass stuff works - I don't necessarily need a reservation, but I don't know what I do otherwise! While trying to get on the train, I had to get help reading my ticket because I had no idea what "Carbonazza" and "pisto" meant (and don't try spell-checking those because I soooo didn't spell them right.) So now I know they mean "car" and "seat" respectively.
Argh. Italian keyboards and I don't get along - this one is mostly great, but it has a tiny backspace button and immediately to the right of it is the "home" key, so I keep accidentally hitting it and typing at the start of the line...
Anyways, I should go out and explore the actual city now that I'm here. I have no idea what I want to do, but I'd like to see David, and go hang at the Bugogli Gardens just to spite my friend Michelle. I think I mentioned also that one day I want to do a day trip to Siena.
Oh, and before I forget, yes, the scenery was pretty damned cool on the ride over. You could see beautiful fields, rolling hills with villas on top, etc. There were a surprising amount of tunnels though, so I finally gave up on taking on/off my sunglasses each time we went through one.
On the ride, I amused myself by imagining what once stood on those fields - small roman villages, fields of army tents, poised to invade, invasion forces from the world wars... Temples. The list goes on!
Another way I've been amusing myself is by looking at the local italians and imagining what they'd look like as a statue. Oh wait. I think I already said this in a previous post... Oh well, it still holds true.
Ciao!
No comments:
Post a Comment