Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Nice is nice and other lame jokes

Wow. My train ride to Nice was both great and terrible all at once. It was terrible in the sense that it was slow - we stopped at every town along the route practically. It was also ridiculously hot on the train. Like, "I'm going to puke because it's so humid in here" hot. Italy, if I haven't mentioned it, has apparently not discovered the joy that is AC. Few of its buildings, buses, or subways have it. Neither did this train. Also, the train was one of those funky ones where's there's a hallway to one side of the train and compartments for 6 people on the other side... And Mau was stuck in the middle of the 6 other people. (Especially awkward since I was the only non-Italian speaking person.) There was a bit of AC on, but not enough to help being surrounded by people. And, because my other trains have all had AC blasting, I decided to wear my jeans and longer shirt so that I wouldn't be as cool this time. The joke was on me I guess. It did get a bit better as time went on and people came and left the room - I got to move into a corner seat nearer the AC vents, but I might as well have stayed in the same spot for all it did.

As for the great part of the train ride - that was the scenery. I had assumed that the train would wind its way through the Alps to its destination... However, instead it wended (is that a word?) its way along the Mediterranean coast. It was so gorgeous and picturesque! Any picture you've ever seen of the Italian/French coast really IS as pretty as it looks!

After getting off the train I checked into my hostel. It's not the nicest I've been in, but I have to admit, my Florence hostel has spoiled me. My room mates were apparently slobs since they left their crap scattered around the room and it smelled in there... I don't know if the smell was from them or the AC because they've left and the windows are open now, so the smell is gone.

Anyways, priority number one upon arriving in Nice was to find the beach. I can't go swimming because I have no one to guard my stuff (one of the bad things about travelling on your own), but I can still enjoy the ambience. While walking to the beach the first thing I noticed is that I feel infinitely more comfortable in Nice than I did anywhere else in Italy. I strongly suspect that it's because I can speak the language. It's such a relief not to have to struggle to know what the hell's going on, or to be able to ask for directions, etc.

Also, it's also a relief to walk on streets that are FLAT and PAVED. Cobblestones are cute and all, but I'm tired of nearly breaking my ankle anytime I step outside the hostel. LOL.

Anyways, Nice is very very picturesque - it looks EXACTLY like the pictures and TV shows show it as. However, the one surprising thing is that the beach isn't sandy - it's covered in rather large rocks/pebbles! Like, golf ball size and larger.... So not the best place to go if you want to flop out on a towel. There are people who do so anyways. I've seen quite a few boobs since being here and that doesn't bother me. What bothers me is just how tanned people are - some white people are now BROWN. It's disgusting! Haven't they heard of sun block or skin cancer?! I'm honestly revolted when I see some of them.

The only thing I did yesterday was wander the beach, watch the sunset over the mountains, and then eat dinner.

Today I started off early by wandering the beach again and climbing the Castle Lou. Now, apparently Nice averages 300 days of sunshine a year. Apparently today is day 301. It was so cloudy this morning, and, while it was still cool, the clouds trapped the humidity making it hotter than hell! Castle Lou was anti-climatic... The hillside is covered in beautiful palms, pines, and cacti... Cacti? Yes. There is a surprising number of cacti here in Nice and along the coast. I'm rather enthralled by them. LOL. I also checked out a famous cemetery here (although it wasn't as impressive as the one in Milan). Otherwise, the only other thing I've done today is grabbed lunch and eat in a small plaza.

On the way back to the hostel (I had to change out of my jean capris, it was too bloody hot) I got a bit lost and had to ask for directions. I received several compliments on my accent. Yay me!

I have to admit, the allure of my trip is winding down. I'm getting tired of living out of a backpack and trying to find out where to eat each day. (Nice is effin' expensive - 17 Euros for a meal? No thanks!) I doubt I'd ever do such a long trip on my own ever again. I'm kind of counting down until I get to come home.

That being said, don't get me wrong. I'm so glad that I've come here, but as I've joked to everyone else at one time or another, I left my heart in Asia. I really do prefer Asia to Europe so far. I feel more comfortable, safety-wise, here than I did in Asia, but Hong Kong and China were so much more exciting and interesting than here. I was talking about this with Li Min before leaving Milan and it's as true now as it was then.

7 days till I come home!

No comments: