Before Christmas I had an incident with pigeons. I was braving a snowstorm to go out and buy some milk. Along the way I had to walk through a flock of pigeons.
Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but when you get too close to pigeons, they're supposed to fly away, right? At least, that's how it's supposed to work? Right? Right?!
Not so in this case. When I started getting close to them, yes, they started flying, but instead of flying away from me, they flew upwards and hovered in the air around me. They were so close that I actually felt their wings beating against me! I was beyond freaked out. I ducked and started scurrying along, but the little beasts continued to follow me for several meters!
It wasn't until I was going back home that I found out why they acted as they did. It turns out some guy had been feeding them. He was there when I was returning. I made a small joking comment to the effect of, "Oh, so you're the reason why the pigeons attacked me!"
The man got a bit defensive and replied (rather snarkily or so I thought), "Well they have to eat too!"
I personally have no sympathy for pigeons or any kind of bird during the winter. They've survived hundreds of years without our help in feeding them in the depths of the season, and let's face it, pigeons are scavengers - they'll eat practically anything! Even more amusingly, the guy was feeding them literally across the street from a homeless shelter. I can't help but think that's just really unclassy!
No comments:
Post a Comment