Sunday, January 18, 2009

Proper incentive

I have recently discovered that, given the proper incentive, I can be very athletic if needed.

To get in and out of my basement apartment, I have to go through my landlord's backyard which is surrounded by a 7 foot (minimum) fence and has a two way locked gate. Apparently the deadbolt on the gate isn't meant for extreme temperatures though. I've had a few mornings where I couldn't unlock the gate because the bolt was frozen in place.

The first time this happened, I ended up having to wake up my landlord and walk through his apartment to escape via his front door. Since then, he's provided me with an extension cord so that I can use my hairdryer to blowdry my way to freedom. :)

Now, this is all well and dandy, but then I ran into a different dilemma. What happens when I'm coming back home and the gate is frozen? This happened to me on Tuesday night. I had come back from my cooking class, it's 10:00pm, I'm tired and cold. I go to unlock the gate, and my key won't turn.

Me, being the totally couth and ladylike person that I am immediately start thinking, "Oh my fucking God!" Along with several other expletives. I wouldn't have been in such a panic, but you see, earlier in the day I received an email from my landlord, informing me that he was going to be in Columbia until the end of the month. Of course, I didn't think to write down the contact details of his friend that he gave me either.

So here I am, trying to defrost my lock with the de-icer I carry in my purse, the warmth from my hand, etc. (And of course I'm freezing my butt off the entire time because of the arctic temperatures that were plaguing Canada at the time.) One of the neighbours came by and we tried to brainstorm how to get in.

Finally I cracked and asked the neighbour to act as moral support while I attempted the impossible. I decided to climb the 7-8 foot fence! This wouldn't be such an ordeal, but the fence isn't the most sturdy thing in the world - it leans over, and it's a privacy fence, so the wooden slats are really close together so you can't put your feet in between the slats! Thankfully there was a short cement column at one corner of the fence, so I used that to get a boost up and by some minor miracle I climbed that damned fence! I had to fall about a foot down to reach the ground on the other side, but I made it safely!

And lucky for me too that the neighbour was ethical because I had left my purse, coat, bag, etc. all on the other side of the fence (didn't want to risk getting them caught while I was climbing). He was kind enough to hand them over to me when the ordeal was through! LOL

No comments: