For over a month now, I've been emailing a colleague at the Canadian Liver Foundation, asking her for information. She didn't send it, didn't send it, etc. Finally I called her and left a voicemail, asking for the info because I really needed it.
When I returned to my desk, there was a voicemail from her stating, "So Maureen, I'm getting the impression you haven't been receiving my emails!" We managed to figure out that for some reason, her emails were randomly being lost in cyberspace! I received 1 out of 10 emails she sent! Normally I'd blame the users, but in this case we're both computer savvy people.
After a bit of detective work, we found out that I couldn't receive any emails from the CLF. We both called our IT people to ask them to sort out the problem. It was funny watching them start to communicate. (Note, these conversations are not verbatim.) The CLF's guy wrote, "Well our logs show that the emails were sent properly." The UHN people respond, "Well our logs show that Maureen has only received emails on this, this, and this day." and so on.
I'd got a couple of phone calls from the CLF's IT dude asking, "Maureen, did you receive Karen's email?" And of course I hadn't. Finally today the CLF managed to figure out the problem, not that I understand what the problem was. Apparently the lost emails were due to an AVG smtp outgoing scanner. *blink blink*
The whole ordeal was so odd though. I'm so used to emailing people that suddenly not having the ability to get the information easily was a huge issue. I'd send her an email and then realize, "Oh wait, she can't reply!" We started joking about how I could email her and she'd reply with smoke signals.
No comments:
Post a Comment