I guess I should try to put things into some kind of chronological order. It took awhile to happen, but I have finally attended Oktoberfest in Waterloo! If you aren't aware, Kitchener-Waterloo has the largest Oktoberfest outside of Germany. Yay us!
I was supposed to go in a large group of people, but most of them bailed out at the last minute. In the end, it was only Agnes and I going... And I'll mention that we also didn't feel like going, but went just to spite all the people who stayed home! Agnes hooked us up with some tickets through one of the campus fraternities. It was amusing to see all the kids on the bus were had either already pre-drank, or who were in the process of pre-drinking (and not too stealthily at that).
Agnes and I had a lot of fun people watching, but that was essentially it. Since we were at the university Oktoberfest, there weren't very many interesting people. (Okay, I have to admit that the guy who was dressed up in the inflated German maid outfit was a variant of "interesting.") I would have preferred to hang out with the older crowd, but these tickets were cheaper and more readily available. (Speaking of tickets, Agnes managed to hawk off the extra tickets she had before we got into the stadium. Ha ha.) Overall the night was fun, but not as much as I had anticipated. It was essentially just another excuse for university students to go out drinking. Agnes and I also tried to go dancing for awhile, but the floor was so sticky from the spilled beer I kept nearly falling.In other news, I got scammed. I had posted my room on the sublet board at UW. Some girl responded and we arranged that she would send the money to me. The money didn't come, didn't come, didn't come. I finally sent her another email and she replied that fine, when the money order comes, I could cash it and send it back to her via Western Union. The UW sublet website mentions there has been a lot of rental scams out there... And it turns out this person was also part of it. Grr! So now I'm stuck with my room (I've already lowered the rent, and I've been mailing every single individual on the Housing Wanted site)... Hopefully the guys who are coming to see it next week will like it. :(
Speaking of the house... There's now an all out war brewing. First of all, our landlord came by for cheques for the Internet the one afternoon. While he and I were talking, Bryan, the guy who lives downstairs, came upstairs and essentially tattled on one of the other housemates that his girlfriend was living here as well. I understand that the landlord needs to know these things, but Bryan only told out of spite. He doesn't like the guy and his girlfriend, and I guess he had been hoping to get them kicked out. His plan has failed, but I don't know what happened exactly. All I know is that the guy and girl hate Bryan.
I am also part of the "We love to hate Bryan" fanclub. I have never met someone so rude and inconsiderate in my life. There's a whole list of things that aggravate me about it, but the thing that snapped me was his inability to take out the garbage. Thus far, Agnes and I have taken out the garbage and recycling every week except for twice when we kicked other people's asses into doing it. We finally asked Bryan to take out the garbage... He ended up taking out only the small bag of garbage that was in the kitchen, and the one box of recycling. He totally ignored the three bags of garbage outside of the house, and couldn't be bothered to pick up the recycling on the floor beside the blue box. GRRR!
Agnes and I have totally gone on strike - we refuse to take out the garbage or do anything. As a result, there are now 5 bags of garbage beside the house, and the recycling is overflowing. Unfortunately I know that these small rebellions are all in vain, because Bryan simply won't notice, or if he does, he'll just ignore it (and he'll do so easily).
Let us move on to topics that don't raise my blood pressure, shall we?
As mentioned at the top of this piece of writing that's turning into a novel, this was my half-week from hell. I had to hand in a book review, a paper on why Lester Pearson is a historical pop culture figure, and write my International Studies and Canadian Government midterms. I believe that my papers were done well (I'm quite proud of my Pearson paper), and my International Studies midterm went well. (I'm such a drama queen - I had to write a quick essay on the idea of an "American Empire" - reading what I wrote, you'd have thought that I was writing a movie drama or something.) What did not go well was the Canadian Government midterm. OH MY GOD. The midterm was insanely hard. It consisted of 20 multiple choice questions, but they were all "Choose the false statement." Gah! And they were very analytical questions... And although this probably sounds odd, we haven't really been taught how to analyze the topics we've learned in class. Therefore I have absolutely no idea how I did on it.
I think that covers the highlights of my life since I last wrote. Oh... And I've completely become hooked on the Hemmy.net site. It's so random and fun. As a result of that site, I've also discovered Worth 1000, a photo manipulation site. It's hilarious.
However, the site that I have become most infatuated with recently is the Where the Hell is Matt website. Essentially this site is dedicated to an American named Matt who quit his job one day and travelled around the world till his money ran out. He takes videos of himself dancing (badly) in all the places he has travelled to. It sounds ridiculous, but see all these locations he's been to is really inspiring. The areas are beautiful and fascinating. His dancing video became so well known that a chewing gum company sponsored him for another trip around the world. Wow!
1 comment:
So I went to this Where the Hell is Matt website, and watched the 2006 video. While I think it's cool that he's doing this, and I'm quite jealous, I think it's absolutely ridiculous that the company is paying for this - it just seems to me that their money could go to something a little more useful or charitable. Just my opinion.
Anyhoo, sounds like you're doing well, and glad to hear you survived the week from hell! (hey, that rhymes! :))
<3
Post a Comment