I had a fun day at work on Friday. Well, I guess it shouldn't be described as "fun" but that's the best way to put it for now. My tasks for the day were to do some of the most boring jobs I'd ever anticipated. This meant I had to photocopy a stack of 60 page documents, find and print out another 300 pages worth of documents, making labels for tabs, and assemble filing folders.
How could this be described as fun? Well, it's because of my coworkers that I was so amused. While I was making labels (a surprisingly long and arduous task), one lady came and stood beside me (my desk is beside the office printer) and watched me for a bit. She had a small smile on her face which I noticed. In response to her chuckle, I grinned and simply said, "Oh the life of the summer student." She started cracking up and replied, "I didn't say it! I was thinking it though!" And later on my boss popped by my desk (while I was making labels still - those mofos took most of the morning and afternoon) and tried to make me feel better about my job. She tells me, "You know Maureen, that's a very important job you know. Without these labels there would be so much confusion." At this point I simply pasted a smile on my face and tried not to laugh hysterically. Here's a piece of advice for my boss: The only thing that makes me feel good about my job is the pay cheque. So there!
It seems to have been another event-free weekend. I had been planning on staying in Port Elgin for the weekend, but I cracked at the last minute and decided to go back to Owen Sound. I really can't stand the idea of staying in this tiny town for an entire weekend. It's silly, but I just can't do it! Thankfully I have a valid reason for going home on this upcoming weekend - I have an optometrist appointment in Waterloo on Friday.
My appointment means that I'll be taking Friday off of work and heading down to the big city. I've started emailing some potential apartments to arrange for house viewings. Hopefully I'll be able to find something.
Also related to the topic of house viewings... My friend Agnes and I are planning on living together. In the midst of our house hunting, I suddenly realized that if I wanted to lease an apartment, I probably wouldn't have enough money to put a deposit on the place! Thankfully Agnes and her mom were able to transfer the necessary money to me. However, because the money transfer was conducted online and blah blah blah, I was told it would take 3-5 days to complete the transfer. I totally forgot about the transfer over the weekend and then on Sunday I went and withdrew money from the bank machine and was floored when it told me I had a lot more money in my account then I thought I had. I spent a good 3 hours trying to figure out what was going on and it was finally my mom who realized that it was the money transfer. I blame my stupidity on the fact that it usually means 3-5 business days, not regular days. Wow, that's efficiency for you.
The rest of my weekend was pretty lazy. My mom and I went to one of my favourite places for lunch on Saturday - the European Bakery Cafe. Even while I was in Hong Kong I sometimes missed this little restaurant. They have the best sandwiches and even better desserts. Unfortunately they didn't have my favourite dessert, a nougat ring, so I left both empty-handed and empty-stomached.
The only other highlight to my weekend was that I went to get a picture framed. Before I left Hong Kong, my friend Limin painted a picture of some bamboo leaves for me in a very traditional Chinese style. She wrote, "To Mo-lin, from Limin" on it in Chinese characters. It was so pretty that I wanted to get it framed and framed well, so I decided to take it to a professional. It took forever to decide how to get it done, and we'll have to wait for about 2 weeks to see the results. Cross your fingers for me folks!
When I finally returned to Port Elgin last night (yes, I remembered my laptop this time) Tao had invited a bunch of co-ops over for a barbeque. So I got to crash the party and sit around and chat with them. (I had already eaten.) I had a good time - I had only met the students once, last week at the Bruce. Then ended up leaving to go play frisbee on the beach and I stayed home so I could finish my unpacking.
Thus went my weekend. I'm excited about this week for some reason - probably because it'll be a short week for me (again.) I slept really well last night and am in a good mood. Hopefully it lasts. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment