We also went to a breakfast buffet that sucked. There was very little food available, it was mostly cold and everytime something tasty did come out, everyone rushed for it and they'd run out! The only good thing about the restaurant was it's location. It was in a beautiful area called Walter's Falls. As you can see from the picture, it's in the middle of the countryside and is very picturesque.
The next week at work was the beginning of the grind. I can't tell you what I did on each day because they all blurred together. In other words, I'm being a total office grunt worker. I do all the jobs no one has the time/will to do. For example, for the past 2 weeks I've been organizing binders.
I do have one other task, and that's to update a Process Manual for my section. Essentially the task is to get all the information that's in my coworkers' heads on to paper. This sounds easy, but my coworkers are forever busy and thus difficult to tackle.
Other bonuses to working at the Bruce is the large number of students. There are a crazy number of co-op and summer students here on site. Only 3 of them are in my building, but we still have a blast. Right now the students in my building and I are having email wars and teasing each other. Right now we've lowered ourselves to composing poems making fun of each others' towns. Yeah. In my defence: this is a horribly boring job.
We haven't done much as a group yet. On Thursday Tao and I tried inviting everyone out for wings at a restaurant in Port Elgin. He and I were the only ones to show up. Apparently everyone else went to the restaurant later that night (at 10pm it turns into a bar). I didn't go because hell! I'm in bed by 10pm!
On Friday we did manage to get together for pizza. Apparently at one of the main buildings on site, the students there order pizza every Friday. Therefore we decided to partake in the bounty. Sadly when we got there, the cafeteria was so full that we had to get separate tables, so I ended up sitting with the friends I normally do. Oh well. Unfortunately lunch took twice as long as it should have. I ended up being half an hour late getting back to work.
This past weekend was Victoria Day Weekend, meaning we got an extra day off. This holiday is typically celebrated by drinking large amounts of alcohol and going to the beach to party. This is because this time of year usually has beautiful and warm weather. This was not the case this year. Instead it was raining, cold, and miserable. It actually snowed in a few places!
The happiest thing about this weekend was Friday night. I logged on the internet and there was Peggy, my roommate from Taiwan! I finally got to use my digital camera. I don't know how long we chatted for because I was tired, but I had a lot of fun. She told me about her trip to Yunnan - apparently I missed some of the scariest toilets in all of Asia. :)
Luckily the bad weather didn't bother me (ignore the fact that I had to turn on the heat in my house to stay warm). Instead I relaxed and did NOTHING all weekend. Well, not nothing. On Saturday my parents and I went down to Waterloo so I could go check out an apartment. The trip was a bit of a waste because we only looked at the one apartment. I did however get a haircut though. And finally buy a copy of the magazine The Economist, and buy a map of the world. (It was ridiculously hard finding the latter two objects.) We ended up meeting my sister and her fiancee for dinner before going home. (FYI: Seafood and spaghetti sauce don't go well together.)On Sunday I felt the strange need to bake. Oh my gosh. I ended up being in the kitchen for over 4 hours! I baked three kinds of cookies (including some chocolate coconut drops) and made some evil peanut butter chocolate bar thingie. (Honestly, if you ate more than 3 centimeters of the peanut butter thing, you'd feel sick from the amount of sugar in it... Of course, this didn't stop me from eating it. :))
On top of the baking, I also cooked dinner for my parents. I had bought a jar of BBQ pork sauce. I had been hoping it would taste like Hong Kong BBQ pork, but sadly it didn't. :( It was edible, but very disappointing when you had been hoping for something else. My parents were likewise unimpressed.
Since Monday was the actual Holiday, there was nothing to do but laze around. My mom and I ended up watching a movie. I spent the rest of the day watching a TV series I've started downloading, Veronica Mars.
When my parents finally drove me back to my apartment in Port Elgin, I got to meet my landlady's boyfriend as well as my new roommate/flatmate. The flatmate's name is Lauda, she's from Costa Rica. I've only had the one night to get to know her, but so far I'm pretty pleased. She's super friendly and seems pretty funny. She's a Masters student doing an internship at a museum in the town next to Port Elgin.
Unfortunately because there were so many people in the apartment when my parents dropped me off, they fled pretty quickly... And it was about 5-10 minutes after they left that I realized I had forgotten my laptop in the van. I tried phoning their cell phones but they didn't have them turned on. What's the point of a cell if it's never on? Luckily for me, when they returned home, they got my message and were kind enough to turn around and drive it back. (It's a 40 minute drive one way.)
The plan for tonight is to go home, drop my stuff off quickly, and then go over to the town of Kincardine for wings with some students. I'm pretty exhausted though because I stayed up late last night reading a book. I hope I can survive the day at work because I'm falling asleep already.
No comments:
Post a Comment