Sunday, May 01, 2011

Meet Nix!

On Thursday, my family received the following poem in their inboxes:

I wished and wanted, whimpered and whined
Finally I’m getting what should have always been mine.
She was a rogue before being brought to the shelter.
In her heart she just yearned for a kind adopter.
They’ve kept her and nurtured her since March fifteen
But now she’s got a real home, she’s coming home with me!
They named her Helen, but we all know
That no one should be named after a giant sow.
So I’m gracing her with a new name of “Nix”.
The “Goddess of the night” was the best of picks.
So please take a moment to say it with me,
“Welcome to Nix, the newest member of our family!”
I adopted a cat! I've wanted one for a long long long time, but I knew I couldn't take care of one because I didn't have an easy way of getting kitty litter and food to and from my various apartments. And then, when I moved back to KW, I finally got a car, but my lease had a "no cats allowed" clause. However, when my friend Alyssa moved in downstairs, she brought two cats with her, and my landlady decided to allow me to get one too.

I visited the KW Humane Society's page multiple times, torturing myself, but then I came across Nix's picture. She looked so regal and pretty that I was instantly in love. That love was cemented when I visited her at the shelter. She's five years old, but still surprisingly playful.

We're still in the process of learning each other's quirks. When I adopted her, the shelter staff warned me that she needed a special diet, and that she'd be picky about what she ate. Anxious to take care of her, I immediately rushed out to buy some special "sensitive" stomach food for her. In this case, "special" also translates to "expensive" - and boy does she like the stuff! I hope that I can wean her on to a cheaper brand, but at least I know her stomach isn't going to explode anytime soon.

Another of her weird quirks is that she likes to kick her litter into one corner of her box. Who knows why? I don't care because at least it's staying inside the box. :)

And today I discovered that my new ward is also an opiate addict. I bought a bag of catnip in an attempt to encourage her to use her scratching post (she seems to prefer my apartment's carpets thus far... :( ) And wow. The reaction to the weed was instantaneous. I was laughing as she rolled around and essentially melted into a puddle fur.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good taste as she is the one that I liked best on the humane site. Lovely picture as well.