Yikes it's warm in my apartment right now! The weather network claims that it's 21 degrees outside. Unfortunately it seems like none of that coolness has leaked into my living room. Luckily for you, this means that I'm too slothful to move away from my computer. Therefore I'm going to start working my way down my "things to blog about" list. (Yes, such a thing exists.)
Today I will tackle how I "acquired" my Kobo e-reader.
Once upon a time, my father, bibliophile that he is, gave into the urge and splurged on buying a Kobo e-reader. He was supremely happy with his purchase. He frolicked (well, with his burgeoning arthritis, the action would be better described as "gimped") about the house raving about how amazing it was and how grand life was, etc. and so on.
And then one night, the unthinkable happened. He went to get some takeout for my mother and I (somehow I think he blames us for this) and came back sans-Kobo. How this could happen, I'm not quite sure. I was under the impression that he'd had the device surgically attached to his hand. But I digress.
He immediately returned to the restaurant, suspecting that he left it on the counter there. No dice. He searched the area where he parked, wondering whether he'd set it on the roof of his car and driven away unknowingly. Nada. My mother and I made the appropriate noises of sympathy as we gnawed away at the egg rolls. He searched inside and outside the vehicle. Big fat zero.
Several weeks passed and soon my father gave in to the withdrawal symptoms and bought himself a replacement Kobo. All was right in the world again.
One weekend, my sister, Steve, and I visited Owen Sound. It was a joyous and fun occasion. My mom and them tried several times to go to Casino Rama despite the winter storm road closures. Oops. That's their story, not mine. Back on track now.
The next day, the family and I decided to forage for breakfast at a local restaurant. Mel, Steve, and I squeezed into the backseat of my parents' car, but on my way in, I noticed something.
That Kobo that my dad searched high and low for? The one that forced him back to the restaurant twice for? The one that he bitched and moaned for? Yes. That one. It was in the backseat of his car the entire time. The ENTIRE TIME. To be fair, the Kobo is black. And it was facing downwards. But it was right in plain sight!
I cackled and showed it to Mel and Steve, and when she joined us, my mother too. We all snickered at my father who was locking the house.
When my dad joined us in the vehicle, I told him, "Dad, look in the rear view mirror."
"What?" He grumbled.
I held up the Kobo so that he could see it and pronounced, "By the ancient law of 'Finders Keepers', I hereby claim this Kobo in the name of Mau."
And that ladies and gentlement, is how I managed to get a Kobo for free.
No comments:
Post a Comment