Getting to work shouldn't be difficult. I wish I could say that was the case on Wednesday this week. I got FROZEN into my backyard and ended up being 20 minutes late to work!
To get in and out of my apartment, I have to go through my landlord's backyard which is surrounded by a fence taller than I am. The only point of entry in the fence is a gate with a bolt that can only be released by key. The problem was, the lock was frozen closed!
I have never ever had to deal with frozen locks before, so I ended up going downstairs, getting some warm water (the fastest solution, although I know that it would just freeze over again) and a pack of matches. I also phoned home, waking up my mom and dad to see if they had a better idea on the spur of the moment. Nope. Water it was.
I troop back upstairs and outside and manage to melt the ice in the lock so I can finally get my key into the hole... But, alas! The key wouldn't turn! The entire BOLT was frozen! Due to the shape of the gate opening, I couldn't maneuver anything into the gap to try to de-ice the bolt. I thought of getting my hair dryer out, but I didn't have an extension cord long enough to reach the fence! By this time, 20 minutes had passed and I was getting worried about being so late to work. (I had already taken a moment to email my coworker to let her know that I'd be late - turns out that I spelled her email address wrong and she never got the message. Oops!)
I would have tried climbing the fence, but it's not the most sturdy thing in the world - it leans over, so if I were to try to climb it, it would probably collapse. And only sturdy portion of the fence is the part where there's a coniferous tree in front of it... I didn't feel like being tackled by pine needles while trying to manage my escape.
I finally ended up calling my landlord. Crap. The call goes straight to voicemail. My last recourse was to start banging on his backdoor. Thank God he was home for once! LOL, he ended up letting me through his house and out his front door and later on, he fixed the gate so that I could at least get back into my apartment later that evening.
I now own my first bottle of lock de-icer. And, the landlord has provided an extension cord just in case there's another fiasco like this again
No comments:
Post a Comment