Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Cell phone woes

Wow, it's been a long time since I've posted anything relevant to my current circumstances. Nothing terribly exciting has happened recently, I thought I'd share a fiasco that occurred back when I first moved to Toronto.

As mentioned, I'm renting a basement apartment. When I agreed to rent it, I never thought about cell phone reception. It wasn't until the first week I was there that I realized I couldn't get a cell phone signal in the place! If I wanted to make a call, I had to walk to a window and hold my cell phone far away to get a tiny signal.

Since I figured I couldn't get reception, I signed up for a landline. I got the cheapest package available (like $14 a month). Two weeks later my family came to visit and that's when I found out that every other cell phone company got cell phone reception in my basement! It was only Bell, and companies that use Bell cell phone towers that didn't work in my apartment! I was so mad!

I love having a cell phone. There seemed to be no point in keeping both a cell phone and a landline, so I decided to cancel my landline, break my Bell cell phone contract (I still had about 8 months left on it), and get a phone with Fido. Well, all this was easier said than done.

When I went to get my Fido phone, I found out that I could have my old Bell cell phone number transferred over to my Fido phone. I was like, "Yay! Now I don't have to tell everyone my new number." (I had only gotten my Toronto number a couple weeks earlier when I first moved to the area.)

To transfer my phone number, I had to get my Bell account number first. So I went to the Bell store and told them that I needed my account number. The lady just asked for my phone number and gave it to me then and there with no problem. I troupe back down to Fido, give them my phone number and account number... There's a small error, but the transfer goes through. Yay! I have a Fido phone number now.

The problem is, about 15 minutes later, I start getting phone calls for someone named Kevin. It wasn't till 30 minutes later that I realized I gave Fido and Bell the WRONG CELL PHONE NUMBER. (As I said, I had only had my phone number for a couple of weeks and hadn't memorized it yet.) I gave the lady at Bell the wrong number, so she gave me the correct account number for the wrong phone number. And that's why the number transfer went through Fido. Essentially I stole someone else's phone number! I now realize that the reason I gave the wrong phone number is that I gave Fido my old Ottawa phone number but I used a Toronto area code.

Long story short, I had to wait until the next day before I could sort out the mixup, and I ended up being on the phone with Fido and Bell for nearly 3 hours trying to give back "Kevin's" phone number. Then, a month later, Fido tried to bill me nearly $500 for breaking a contract (because I had bought a phone and returned it the next day). Luckily the phone call to fix that mistake only lasted a few minutes.

No comments: