Saturday, March 08, 2008

Losing my flip flops

I never used to wear flip flops. And I especially never wore footwear in the house. When I first went to university though, I had to buy a pair of shower shoes. My purchase took the form of a pair of $2 flip flops from WalMart.

I got so used to wearing the flip flops that I rarely took them off. I wore them not only to the shower, but also to the cafeteria, around my residence, and pretty much everywhere (except outside).

Surprisingly those flip flops lasted me for 4 years - not bad for only spending a toonie on them! They finally broke when I was in Hong Kong. I had to replace them, and ended up buying a pair of Diesel brand name flip flops while in Thailand. Unfortunately they were terrible fake products. They had had flowers painted on them. I think the flowers rubbed off in two days. Oh well. They're still ridiculously comfortable.

In my current residence, I keep losing a single flip flop (usually the right foot one). How do I do this? It happens when I go to sit at my computer desk. Without thinking, when I first sit down, I usually sit with my right foot curled up beneath me, which means I kick off my right flip flop before sitting down. Later I'll shift positions, and automatically go seek out my flip flop, only to find it's not beneath my desk. It's beside it.

I don't know how I continue to surprise myself by doing this. I've been "losing" my flip flop since I first moved in, but I'm also surprised (and amused) when I have to lean over, grab it, and throw it to my foot.

I think it's even more amusing that I'm actually dedicating an entire post to my flip flops, but hey, they're now a necessity of life for me. Anytime I take a trip anywhere, I always pack my flip flops for wandering around my new accomodations.

No comments: