Friday, January 12, 2007

Public Service Message

I would like to take a moment to promote the environment.

DON'T WASTE ELECTRICITY! DON'T THROW OUT RECYCLABLES! WALK INSTEAD OF DRIVING!

The winter thus far has been pretty damned freaky. For my pals outside of Canada, I should mention that we've had little to NO snow so far! Normally by the middle of January, we're buried in several feet of the stuff! Right now though, you can still see the grass.

Our weather is NOT normal! It is an effect of global warming. I'm beginning to get really freaked out by how rapidly the changes are occuring, and it's infuriating to see how people don't care. For example, since I moved into my new apartment, I've turned the heat down by 7 degrees (no one has noticed) and I'm constantly closing windows that people leave open. All of these careless actions waste electricity which contributes to global warming.

I think what drives home the effects of climate change for me has been watching the Canadian Geese on campus. Normally the geese leave Waterloo in mid to late November. this year though, they're still here! The migration progress is important to their development - that's when the new adults learn where to fly on their trip down south! And I keep being concerned that the weather might change suddenly to have "real" Canadian weather, and the geese that suddenly have to fly South will starve on their trip. I don't know if all of these ill omens will come to pass, but it concerns me. Several days ago, Waterloo was hit by a cold spell, causing snow and ice to form. While I was walking home, I was struck by seeing a group of geese walking across the ice of Columbia Lake...

If you want to know more about how you can stop global warming, see the following movies/sites!

No comments: