It seems as though Christmas vacation has
Melanie was down for several days. We had a good time together - she can't do too much since she's on her crutches, so I would cater on her hand and foot. (Well, most of the time at least. There was an incident in Staples when she smacked me with her crutches which caused me to place her goods in the middle of the aisle and walk away. Tee hee - watching her try to hobble on her crutches and carry her purchases was amusing.) I also had to run around on Christmas eve and try to buy all her last minute gifts for mom and dad.
Christmas day itself was a lot of fun. Mel and Scott came over later in the morning to open presents (they had gone to Scott's nephews' first). I had to play "Santa" this year (Santa = the job of the person to hand gifts out). Normally Mel does this, but her knee made her incapacitated. I can't believe the amount of stuff I got this year. Maybe it seemed like more because I didn't get any gifts (except in the form of cash) last year, but I was happy. I got all the major things on my wishlist, and a few unexpected ones as well.
One gift that I gave to my parents made me stupidly pleased with myself. We're always joking that my parents' house is so cold, that penguins would shiver if they entered it. Therefore, we're always buying penguin themed Christmas decorations as jokes. Well, I found the most ADORABLE stuffed penguins! There's two penguins, hugging each, wrapped in the same scarf. They were so cute, I just had to buy them.
As mentioned, I can't remember what I did for the rest of the holidays... I went to see the James Bond movie again, as well as see The Holiday with my mom. That latter was very cute. :) I also did a lot of cooking. One of my Christmas gifts was a Thai cookbook, so I made a beef soup recipe from it (delicious), as well as a Lemongrass chicken recipe (very NOT delicious - it smelled like a cat had crawled into my marinade and died). I also did a lot of baking at the beginning of the holiday. Since my mom's a diabetic now, I didn't bake as much, but the one thing I'm proud of was my Polish apple cake! I had to wing the recipe while making it (e.g. one step called for melted the "Fleichsmanns butter," but it didn't indicate how much (since it's sold in two small tubs)... Turns out you should use both tubs, not one.)
I have to admit, by the time my vacation was over, I was happy to go back to school. I was actually getting bored of staying at home and watching TV/reading. I never thought I'd feel that way!
I ended up moving back to Waterloo on January 2nd, the day before classes began. My housemates were home and helped my dad and I to drag my stuff upstairs. I had been told when I agreed to live here, that I'd have my choice of twin or queen bed. I had chosen the twin bed... And when I got here, it turns out I was getting a queen! This posed a slight problem since I didn't have queen sheets - my sister had bought me twin sheets for Christmas. I ended up having to go to Walmart and buy a new set of sheets.
After a bit more shopping, my dad dropped me back off at my apartment to finish getting settled. I tried to make my bed using my new sheets... I couldn't fit them on the mattress! I stretched and stretched the sheets, but they would not fit! I double checked the packaging on the sheets and yes, it said it was for a Queen bed. After a few more struggles, I checked the label on the sheet itself - it said it was a twin! I went back and looked at the packaging... Some doorknob had messed up the packaging. On one side of the plastic it said the bedding was for a twin bed, but the other side said it was for a Queen. Doh!
I ended up hopping back on the bus to go return my sheets and buy an actual set of queen sheets. An hour later, I had returned home and was again putting the new sheets on my bed. Only now, the things were massive! My mattress was wallowing in the material! I finally had to get out a measuring tape and physically measure the mattress. It turns out that I have neither a twin nor a queen bed - I have a double! Doh! I was slightly bitter about all the time wasted searching for sheets.
No comments:
Post a Comment