Thursday, September 23, 2010

Going bananas...

Last year my apartment suffered a break in. I came home to discover my bananas were hanging half way out the kitchen window and that some nefarious fiend had stolen my $2 avocado! The nerve!

Obviously this wasn't a common criminal. No, this must have been the work of a super-squirrel! One that could climb vertical surfaces without a safety harness. Who could leap long distances without fear!

How did they accomplish this fiendish act? Well, during the summer I have my AC installed in my kitchen. However, when it's not too hot, I like to keep the window open as far as it can. Unfortunately the way it is set up, I can't close the screen at the same time, so there's always a 20 cm gap. That's how the brutish beast accomplishes his acts of terror.

This year, he seemed to have avoided my apartment again. (Or perhaps my fruit selections weren't to his taste.) However, last Saturday something woke me up at 6am. I heard a small clunk sound and some scratching. My heart was pounding. I thought there was a burglar in my apartment! I played dead, trying to figure out where the sound was coming from. Eventually I realized that the sound was too quiet to be a person and it stopped, so I assumed that it was a mouse.

I was wrong.

When I finally got up, I discovered that my archenemy had struck again. He decided to dig around the oregano plant that was sitting on my counter! Dirt was everywhere! If you know me, you know not to mess with my plants. I patched up my plant as best I could and resolved to close the window that night. And after a day full of cooking and grocery shopping, that's exactly what I did.

Except he outsmarted me again.

The next morning I decided to make pancakes and top them with a banana. But when I fetched said banana, I discovered that he had partially eaten one of them!!!

Apparently the monster conducted a raid during mid-day while I was home! Can you believe his gall? Never mind that; I'm more horrified by the fact that I got beaten by a SQUIRREL. Needless to say, the AC is now removed and the screen is back in place.

That doesn't stop him from dreaming though. Today I heard what sounded like someone moving a ladder outside. I pulled back my kitchen window curtains, and there he way. Clinging to my screen. I could see his wicked plans for theft in his beady little eyes. Luckily he was foiled by the screen. Phew!

1 comment:

Lama said...

How are you going to be able to sleep at night...poor little squirrel will go hunry.