Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Mau's 24 hour plague

Mau added a new life experience to her repertoire today: Passing out on an airplane (while in the air).

Yup. I fainted while on my flight to Toronto today. I've got the scraped knee to prove it!

I wasn't feel very well last night, and when I woke up today it was much worse. I think I have food poisoning - nothing was staying in my stomach (aka I needed gravol and immodium), I was having stomach cramps, nausea, etc. I forced myself to eat breakfast and a frozen dinner for lunch. My plane was delayed and I knew I was a bit weak, but nothing happened. In the air I was feeling worse (I felt like the cabin was waaaaay too hot), and the feeling persisted even after I ate a snack and had some juice.

Suddenly the cabin seemed to get even hotter and the lights got darker. I figured I was either going to pass out or throw up so I started walking towards the bathroom. I have vague memories of trying to grab on to seat chairs to steady myself while I was walking, but by this point the cabin was too dark to see. (I'm pretty sure I just smacked people in the heads/shoulders instead.) The next thing I know, I'm on the floor and people are touching my shoulders on either side, asking if I'm okay.

Which of course I was. Apparently one fainting episode cures all. I got to sit down in the nearest chair, get more juice, fill out some forms, and assure the flight attendant that no, they did not need to call the paramedics. They even lowered the cabin temperature for me and got me some ice to help stay cool. All in all, the incident is more embarrassing than anything! LOL.

I made it to the ground safely (we were only 17 minutes from Toronto) and checked into my hotel. I immediately hoofed it across the street to the Swiss Chalet where I forced myself to eat 3/4 of a quesadilla and some veggies. I'm still feeling nauseated and ill, but I'm pretty sure that I'm not in any danger of croaking in the next 24 hours.

No comments: