Thursday, January 28, 2010

Yet another ode

My family always accuses me of writing depressing poetry. But that’s not true! I’ve written many funny or random things in the past. For example, there’s my poem called “The Challenge.” And there’s also my poem about Chinese buns!

Now here’s a new one! It’s dedicated to my office plant. I originally bought the plant from Walmart when I was living in Ottawa and feeling a bit down. The thing had become my staunch companion and has survived being moved from Ottawa to Owen Sound to Toronto to Owen Sound to Montreal. It’s obviously very hardy.

I was first struck with the idea of writing a haiku to it.

Droopy potted plant
Seeks to brighten grey office.
Monday. New week starts.

And then I was inspired to continue writing about it, so I went into a free verse poem.

My little sad plant holds the darkness at bay.
It strives ever upward, spreading magnificence
Against austere white walls and corporate gleam.
It hushes the cold whir of electronics
And clamours for you to pause,
To admire its emerald splendour.
My little sad plant, ever loyal,
Helps me to get through day after day.

And then I was still inspired, so I changed it into a rhyming couplet.

Against my office’s austere white walls and corporate gleam,
A splash of colour interrupts the scheme.
My little potted plant holds the dreariness at bay.
Emerald elegance it does convey.
Its very stillness clamours for you to pause,
To admire it. Why? Just because.
It strives to brighten our day
Through colour, beauty, and every way.
My little sad plant, staunch friend,
We’ll be together till the very end.

My favourite parts of the poem:
- corporate gleam
- “Its very stillness clamours for you to pause”
In the second last line I originally described it as my “staunch companion.” I like that word better, but I couldn’t find a nice rhyme to end it with.

So there you go. Not everything that I write is sad and depressing!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

About time! LOL

Lama said...

You are awesome...I could never come up with this shit :)