I recently bought the book, "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" by Seth Grahame-Smith. It's a parody of Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice." I heard a lot of people talking about and every time I went into the bookstore, the cover art called to me.
I haven't finished the book yet but I am absolutely enthralled with it so far. Mr Grahame-Smith had such a brilliant concept when he penned this novel. The novel is so similar to the original book that it's difficult to describe the differences. It has the exact same story, but with zombies! This means that it often has the exact same dialogue, but there are some expanded scenes or tweaks to the wording. The world in the book is the same as before, but now there are zombies running amuck and everyone reacts to them with varying degrees of politeness or terror.
Despite the changes he made to the original story, his own changes fit right into the Elizabethan dialogue and descriptions. Despite their willingness to disembowel a man for the sake of honour, Elizabeth and her sisters are exquisitely polite and mindful of their manners in other ways. The outré statements some characters make are funnier due to the naturalness of their saying it. E.g. When Elizabeth's aunt and uncle invite her on a summer trip on the countryside she breaks into raptures about how fun it will be to do some mountaintop sparring and bringing down bucks with nothing but an ankle dagger. It's such a mind-boggling concept that the character thinks nothing of.
I'm enjoying it so much that I already plan to get another similar book entitled "Sense and Sensibility and Seamonsters." I've never read Sense and Sensibility but I fully expect to like it as much as any other classic romance novel. Both Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and Sense and Sensibility and Seamonsters have both signed movie deals. I can assure you that I'll be seeing them in theatres.
1 comment:
You've never read the book but did you see the Emma Thompson/Kate Winslet movie version of S&S? Worth checking out...
Post a Comment