Thursday, June 12, 2008

Death of my tastebuds

Tonight, my mother made a cake. She decided to use a pre-made cake mix and packaged icing. The cake was delicious, but something went terrible wrong with the icing.

She used "Added Touch" vanilla flavoured icing. I could hear her in the kitchen griping about the icing being kind of weird - it wasn't whipping the way it should. She actually had to get a fork out and break apart the dry lumps.

When she went to get the cake from the cooling rack, I sneaked into the kitchen and swiped my finger in the icing bowl to get a quick treat. I started to run away from the scene of the crime, but that's when the taste in my mouth hit me.

Oh boy, something went wrong with that icing. Terribly wrong. With each step I took, the taste in my mouth got worse. It was like eating sour paint. I wasn't sure if it was just me, so I stopped my mom from putting the icing on the cake and took the icing out to my father to try. (I'd have offered it to my mom, but she has no sense of taste.) My dad was so revolted by the icing's taste that he actually spat it back into the bowl.

We suspect that the packaged icing had gone bad. I opened the second (unopened) package that my had left out, and it too had a terrible odor. Needless to say, the icing got thrown out (in the outside garbage - I couldn't stand the idea of having it sit in our kitchen garbage), and my mom ran out to buy some new icing.

The worst thing is that the taste lingered! Both my dad and I had to find something else to eat to get rid of the god awful flavour!

No comments: