Thursday, January 24, 2008

A story for my readers

Well it seems as though I've been in a non-blogging mood of late. Very well, I shall regale you with an amusing anecdote from my Christmas holidays.

My sister bought a new laptop back in the Fall. Its keyboard has all the special characters, and it also has special French keys on it. My sister didn't know how to use the French keys, so she asked me to play around with her laptop to try to figure it out.

I fought with her laptop for half an hour. I changed language settings, keyboard settings, I tried using the function keys on her laptop and nothing worked! I finally gave up, put all her settings back to normal and returned her laptop to her.

Mel started to check her email and then asked, "Umm, Mau? What's going on?" Whenever she tried to type on the right half of her keyboard, instead of letters appearing, numbers would come up instead.

I reconfiscated her laptop and rechecked that I had returned all her language and keyboard settings back to normal. Then I checked again, and again. I could not for the life of me figure out what her keyboard was still spouting out random signs and numbers instead of the letters. I even called my father in to help.

We were checking online help files trying to figure out what was going on. I finally clued into what was wrong when I came across a web page explaining how to use a laptop keyboard. That's when it hit me.

When I had been originally fiddling around with her laptop, I had turned number lock on! I forgot to turn it off! That's why half her keyboard was punching out numbers instead of letters.

I am so smrt!

No comments: