This is the first year that I've ever appreciated daylight savings. When I was young I never paid attention to it. I just turned my clock back when my mom told me to and then promptly forgot about it.
In my university days it never mattered to me because I had such an irregular sleeping schedule - I was awake until 2am and didn't get up until 10am so again, I didn't care about that 1 hour difference. (Although I do remember going clubbing in Toronto once and being excited because the time change meant that we got an extra hour of drinking.)
Last year when I finally had a full time job, it didn't make a difference to me because I was living in a basement apartment and it was always dark.
This year was the year of change though. My new apartment has its large windows and it was such a pleasant change waking up this morning and not having it dark outside! Those of you who know me know that I'm not a morning person. When I wake up, I refuse to turn on any lights because they hurt my eyes. I even shower in the dark. Well, this morning I fairly leapt out of bed because I could actually see for once. I felt so much more alert rather than fumbling around in the darkness.
Now we'll see if this happy feeling lasts when it becomes dark at 5PM though.
P.S. I did and did not forget about the time change this year. I remembered it every single day including Saturday, but when I got home Saturday night at midnight I was exhausted and went straight to bed. Since I was supposed to play basketball, I set my alarm clock on my cell phone and went to sleep.
I woke up early the next morning - before my alarm sounded. So I turned it off and started getting ready for basketball. Luckily I decided to surf the net a bit before I left, because I while I was reading secrets on postsecret.blogspot.com I came across one that mentioned daylight savings time. That's when I finally remembered the time change, and realized that I was therefore an hour early for basketball! Whoops!
No comments:
Post a Comment