I've been wondering when I'd have the time to catch up on my blogging, and I guess the time is now: When I should be studying... Since it's been a month since I've posted, I'll just gloss over most of the boring mundane details of what's been going on and try to capture the big things.
Moving back to school finally has been odd. This is my first time being back on campus during the Fall term since 2003, therefore it's been a long time since I've been around froshies. I think that the contrast between myself and these bright-eyed freshmen is what struck me the most this term.
What does that mean? It means that I feel older and wiser this term. I know it's silly to say - after all I'm only 22 years old, but after accomplishing so much over the past 4 years of university (sky diving, co-ops, Vancouver, Hong Kong, etc.) I can't help it. I've done so much in the past few years that I never expected to do. It makes me happy. I never truely believed that I'd have the willpower to actually go through with all these adventures.
I can't help but see the difference between myself when I first started university and myself now. I have more direction in my life (as in, I have a general idea of what I want to do for a living, but I'm still pretty confused as to the specifics), I'm more confident and so on. I've done most of what people are expected to do in post-secondary, and then some more. To put it plainly, I like where my life is right now.
Now, that's not to say that everything is completely kosher. I'm currently freaking out about grad studies. I only just realized that I might not actually get into them (I don't think my marks are high enough), and now I have to start contingency planning on what to do if I can't make it into them.
Also I'm having issues with my housemates. I'm living with 3 guys and 2 girls (although 1 girl is living here without the landlord's knowledge). They're all pretty nice people, but the one guy is ridiculously dirty. We have a dish washer but he seems to be physically unable to put his dishes in there. Agnes and I had to ask him 3 times to wash his one pot and he finally did it after a week and several notes. The other guy smokes a lot of pot, but that's okay since we never hear him otherwise.
My classes are quite interesting this term. This is probably the nicest thing of the term so far - I actually feel like I can apply what I'm learning instead of just being a passenger to the knowledge I'm collecting. Of course, this term there's a lot more work as well, but I guess it's a sacrifice I have to make for the interesting stuff. :)
There's been a few amusing anecdotes as well... In my first World Politics class, a girl came up to me and our dialogue went something like this:
Girl: This is going to be a strange question, but do you have a sister?
Mau: Yes...
Girl: Is her name Melanie?
Mau: Yes...
Girl: Is your name Maureen?
Mau: Yes...
Turns out the girl and my sister used to work together and she recognized me from the pictures in my blog that Mel shared. Ha ha.
Anyways, this is enough procrastination for now. Wish me luck in the upcoming 2 months!
No comments:
Post a Comment